Apple pie granola is a fun twist on the classic homemade granola, by adding apples and apple pie spice! A healthy plant-based breakfast, but with all the comforting flavors of apple pie!
Apple Pie Granola
This homemade granola is the perfect breakfast for the colder months! It's full of warm apple pie spice and slices of fresh apples baked in the oven, and it's just so comforting. Not to mention, breakfast doesn't get any quicker or easier than pouring granola and milk into a bowl!
Is apple pie granola healthy?
This apple pie granola is gluten-free, dairy-free, and the only form of sweetener is maple syrup! It's not a low calorie breakfast, but it's healthier if you think about all the processed sugar and additives added to store bought granola.
How to make apple pie granola
In a large bowl, add the maple syrup, oil (I love using olive oil or coconut oil), vanilla extract, salt, apple pie spice, and whisk it all together until combined. If you can't find apple pie spice at the store, Jamie from My Baking Addiction has a great recipe for homemade apple pie spice!
Add the oats, sunflower seeds, chopped pecans, and apple to the bowl and stir until everything is coated in the mixture. Pour the mixture onto a baking sheet and spread it into an even layer. Bake it in a preheated oven for 40-50 minutes at 320°F/160°C.
Take the baking sheet out every 10 minutes to toss and spread it back into an even layer before putting it back into the oven to continue baking. Let it cool completely before serving or storing
Tossing the granola every 10 minutes allows the granola to bake evenly, so don't skip it! The apples hold a lot of moisture so the thicker the apple slices, the longer your granola will take to bake.
Different ways to enjoy granola
1. Milk - My favorite way to eat apple pie granola for breakfast is to have it in a bowl with unsweetened almond milk! Doesn't get any easier than this. And a tip if you want to stretch your batch of granola, add some muesli!
2. Yogurt - Ok, this isn't my favorite as I'm not a huge fan of yogurt. But if you want something that's more filling than milk, you can opt to have your granola with yogurt!
3. Ice cream - So if I was having granola for dessert, my favorite way to have it is to sprinkle it on vanilla ice cream! Apple pie and vanilla ice cream is a match made in heaven, and it's no exception with apple pie granola!
Other delicious breakfast recipes!
- Blueberry cream cheese doughnuts
- Pumpkin morning glory muffins
- Creamy grits
- Cinnamon rolls
- Apple pie bread pudding
Apple Pie Granola
- 3 cups / 300g old fashioned oats
- ½ cup / 70g sunflower seeds
- ½ cup / 57g chopped pecans
- 1 cup / 113g thinly chopped apples
- ½ cup / 160g maple syrup
- ⅓ cup / 67g olive oil
- ½ teaspoon / 2g vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon / 3g fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- Preheat the oven to 320°F/160°C.
- In a large bowl, add the maple syrup, olive oil, vanilla extract, salt, apple pie spice, and whisk it all together until combined. Add the oats, sunflower seeds, chopped pecans, and apple to the bowl and stir until everything is coated in the mixture.
- Pour the mixture onto a baking sheet and spread it into an even layer. Bake it in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes, tossing the granola every 10 minutes. Let it cool completely before serving.
Leave a Reply