This flag fruit pizza is the perfect gluten free and dairy free dessert for the Fourth of July! Super easy to make using a sugar cookie mix!
Gluten-free & Dairy-free Flag Fruit Pizza
This flag fruit pizza is the perfect way to celebrate the Fourth of July, Flag Day, or any other holiday and event where you need a patriotic dessert! It's a gluten-free cookie baked in a baking sheet, topped with dairy-free cream cheese frosting, and garnished with blueberries, strawberries, and bananas to look like the American flag.
And the best part: it uses a sugar cookie mix from a box! Use your favorite gluten free cookie mix and customize this flag fruit pizza however you like! You can have a chocolate cookie base, snickerdoodle base, peanut butter cookie base... there are endless options!
What is fruit pizza/dessert pizza?
Fruit pizzas and dessert pizzas are sweet treats, often made with a cookie base instead of pizza dough. Some sort of sweet spread is layered and then topped with a variety of sweet toppings.
Fruit pizzas have to be topped with fruit. Obviously. On the other hand, dessert pizzas can be topped with non-fruity toppings like chocolate, cookie crumbs, or even marshmallows!
Ingredients for gluten-free & dairy-free flag fruit pizza
Although you can definitely make your own cookie base for this gluten free flag fruit pizza, using a cookie mix definitely makes things easier! The ingredients you'll need will depend on what your box of cookie mix calls for. Generally, you'll need butter, eggs, and vanilla.
- Gluten-free sugar cookie mix (and the ingredients the box calls for)
- Dairy-free cream cheese
- Dairy-free butter
- Powdered sugar
Keep in mind that the fruit you use will change depending on which country's flag you're making! Here are some ideas for fruit you can use for your country's flag:
- Red: strawberries, raspberries
- Orange: cantaloupe, oranges, papaya
- Yellow: pineapple, mangoes
- Green: kiwi, green grapes, honeydew melon
- Blue: blueberries
- Purple: grapes
- White: bananas, whipped cream, frosting
- Black: blackberries
Dairy-free cream cheese frosting
This dairy-free cream cheese frosting is just as easy as making a traditional cream cheese frosting! I just switched out cream cheese for vegan cream cheese, and butter for vegan butter.
Although it has a good amount of powdered sugar in it, the texture is looser than traditional cream cheese frosting. It works perfectly as the glue to stick the fruit onto the fruit pizza, but definitely not firm enough to pipe onto the pizza using a piping bag.
Tips for a beautiful flag:
Although this gluten-free flag fruit pizza isn't complex to make, it requires a few tips to make sure your flag looks both beautiful and accurate!
- Know your flag! Make sure you know the aspect ratio of your flag. Make sure you know the size and number of lines, stars, animals, etc. on your flag.
- Press the cookie dough into the baking sheet evenly! You want the base of your flag to be flat, not bumpy.
- Slice the fruit evenly! For example, in my American flag fruit pizza, I sliced the strawberries and bananas evenly so they lay flat. No need to get too picky and whip out a ruler but be mindful, you know?
- Have a bowl of watered-down lemon juice ready! If you're using any fruit that oxidizes and turns brown quickly, dip it in some lemon juice before putting them on your flag fruit pizza. I dilute lemon juice with water at a 1:1 ratio.
Flag Fruit Pizza
- 1 box gluten-free cookie mix, and the required ingredients listed on the box
- ½ stick / 57g vegan butter, softened at room temperature
- 4 oz / 113g vegan cream cheese
- 1¼ cups / 155g powdered sugar, sifted
- ½ teaspoon / 2.5g vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1½ cups blueberries
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 2½ medium bananas, sliced
- Prepare the cookie dough according to package instructions. Let the dough rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Grease and line a baking sheet (I used a 10x15-inch baking sheet). Press the chilled dough into the baking sheet making sure the surface is flat. Bake for 13-15 minutes. Let it cool completely.
- In a bowl, add vegan butter and vegan cream cheese. Beat using an electric hand mixer. Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and beat after each addition. Add the salt and vanilla, and beat again. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Spread the cream cheese frosting onto the cooled cookie, and layer on the fruit.