This vegan grits recipe is the perfect gluten-free meal! A bowl of creamy vegan grits topped with savory jackfruit confit with tomatoes and basil is so comforting and satisfying!
Vegan Grits with Jackfruit
The grits are cooked in coconut milk and flavored with nutritional yeast for a cheesy kick! It's a fresh vegan twist to the classic Southern shrimp and grits! Whether you're trying to eat less animal products, or making a meal for vegan friends, this is the grits recipe you need!
The cherry tomatoes and basil balances out the rich and creamy grits and keeps the whole dish from feeling heavy!
Grits vs Polenta
So what's the difference?
The differences are pretty slim, in my opinion. Besides the fact that grits are Southern and polenta is Italian, they're traditionally made from a different type of corn. Polenta often has more texture than grits.
At the end of the day, they're both stone-ground cornmeal, unless you get the quick-cooking or instant grits. I say go for the stone-ground, always!
Are grits and polenta vegan?
Yes! It's only when you add butter or cheese to it that it becomes a non-vegan dish.
How to make vegan grits with jackfruit
In a pot, add the coconut milk, water, salt, and bring it to a boil. Whisk in the grits and whisk until it thickens, over low heat. Cover the pot and let it cook for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Flavor it with nutritional yeast for vegan cheese grits!
While the grits are cooking, prepare the jackfruit! The young green jackfruit confit by Nature's Charm comes marinated in herbs and olive oil, so it's flavorful without having to season it, making cooking really easy!
In a skillet, add a couple of tablespoons of the marinating oil in the can of jackfruit. Cook the onions in the oil until it turns translucent. Add the garlic and cook for a minute, and then add the jackfruit. Cook until the jackfruit gets some color.
Add the tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Once the tomatoes release their juices, add the water and simmer until everything becomes saucy. Turn off the heat and stir in the basil, lemon juice, and taste for seasoning.
Plate up some of your creamy vegan grits and top with that savory jackfruit confit! Make sure you serve this while it's nice and hot!
Other vegan recipes to try!
Make sure you're following me on Instagram and Pinterest!
Creamy Vegan Grits with Jackfruit
- 1½ cups / 240g stone-ground grits or polenta
- 4⅓ cups / 1040g water
- 1 can (14oz/400g) Chef's Choice coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ¼ onion, finely diced
- 4 cans (28oz/800g) Nature's Charm jackfruit confit
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⅓ cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup / 120g water
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a pot, add the coconut milk, water, salt and bring it to a boil. Whisk in the grits and whisk until it thickens, over low heat.
- Cover the pot and let it cook for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- While the grits are cooking, add a couple tablespoons of the oil from the can of jackfruit to a skillet and heat it over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for a minute, and then add the jackfruit. Cook until the jackfruit gets some color.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper. Once the tomatoes release their juices, add the water and simmer until everything becomes saucy.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the basil, lemon juice, and taste for seasoning. Serve over
SAVE TO PINTEREST FOR LATER!
Links included in this post might be affiliate links. If you purchase a product using these links I may receive a small commission. There is no additional charge to you 🙂