Vegan arroz valenciana is a plant based twist on the classic hearty Filipino dish using rice, coconut milk, jackfruit confit, and saffron! Full of flavor and vegetables, it tastes healthy yet creamy and decadent!
- 1 cup jasmine rice (regular long-grain rice works too)
- ½ cup glutinous rice (can substitute with sushi rice for a less sticky texture)
- 2 cans Nature's Charm jackfruit confit
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- pinch of saffron (double if you like it strong)
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⅓ cup vegetable stock
- 1 can (400ml) Chef's Choice coconut milk
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ cup frozen peas
Wash the rice and set aside.
Heat a pan and add the can of jackfruit confit, including the oil. Cook on medium heat until the edges of the jackfruit gets crispy. Take the jackfruit out on a plate and set aside.
Wipe the pan clean and heat again with the olive oil. Sautée the onions and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the salt, pepper, saffron, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, tomato paste, and stir.
Once the spices and tomato paste have coated the onions, add the vegetable stock and coconut milk. When the mixture reaches a boil, add the washed rice and let it boil. Cover the pot and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the peas and bell peppers and stir. Cover again and let it simmer for 15 minutes. Turn the heat off and let it sit for an additional 5 minutes with the lid on. Taste for seasoning and add extra salt and pepper if necessary. Add the jackfruit and serve while hot.