Kimchi Tteokguk (Korean Kimchi Soup)
Servings: 4 big bowls
Kimchi tteokguk is a spicy and hearty soup with Korean mochi that'll keep you warm and healthy! The kimchi adds probiotics for a healthy gut!
- 7 cups stock (use what you have - I used a blend of sardine, bonito, kelp, and mushroom stock)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece ginger, minced
- ½ pound ground meat of choice
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 pound tteok rice cakes
- 2 cups kimchi (start with 1 cup and add more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (add more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- nori seaweed (optional)
- sesame seeds (optional)
In a large pot, add the stock, garlic, and ginger. Cover and heat until boiling.
Add the ground meat and green onions and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the tteok rice cakes and cook according to the packaging.
Turn the heat off and let the soup cool slightly. Add the kimchi, soy sauce, sesame oil, salt, and pepper. Pour into bowls and garnish with nori and sesame seeds.
Serving: 1big bowl | Calories: 241kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 1971mg | Potassium: 235mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1142IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 2mg