These vegan and gluten-free individual coconut cream pies are so dreamy! Coconut graham cracker crust is filled with silky coconut custard and creamy coconut whipped cream!
Vegan and Gluten-free Coconut Cream Pie
That classic coconut cream pie but lighter by making it dairy-free, egg-free, and gluten-free, but not missing out on the flavor!
The crust is a no-bake coconut crust using toasted coconut and vegan and gluten-free graham crackers. If you don't have a gluten sensitivity, feel free to use vegan graham crackers using wheat. The coconut crust is filled with vegan coconut custard, and topped with luscious coconut whipped cream!
What is a coconut cream pie?
Coconut cream pie has been around since the early 1900s! It's a classic Southern dessert with a flaky pie crust, a rich and custardy coconut pudding filling topped with barely sweetened whipped cream. If you love coconut, it's your dream pie!
If you're a coconut lover but you're also gluten-free, dairy-free, or vegan? This is where my individual coconut cream pies come in.
How to make vegan and gluten-free individual coconut cream pies
For the coconut crust, combine toasted unsweetened coconut, graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and salt into a bowl and stir. Add some melted coconut oil and mix it up so the mixture resembles wet sand. Press it into a muffin tin and put it in the freezer to set.
In a separate bowl, add a can of Nature's Charm coconut custard, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract and stir until smooth and combined. Fill each of the crust with the custard and put it into the fridge while whipping the whipped topping.
In a bowl, add a can of Nature's Charm coconut whipping cream that's been chilled overnight (this is crucial!!), and whip it using an electric hand mixer until you have fluffy whipped cream. Top each pie with however much whipped cream as you like! Garnish with toasted coconut.
Tips to making beautiful and delicious pies
- Add a strip of parchment paper at the bottom of each well in your muffin tin for easy release! If you add parchment paper at the bottom and leave a little overhang, as I did with these no-bake blueberry cheesecake bites, you can easily pull the entire pie out of the pan!
- Layer the whipped cream over the custard right after you whip it! The custard is pretty soft, so it can be difficult to layer the whipped cream on top if the whipped cream is chilled in the fridge after being whipped. So whip it and add it to the pie right away using an offset spatula or a piping bag!
- Store the vegan coconut cream pies in the fridge, but let them sit out for 10 minutes or so before serving! This is because the coconut whip tends to get stiffer than the custard layer when chilled.
Other vegan or gluten-free desserts to try!
- Peanut butter banana oatmeal bars
- Caramel apple upside-down cake
- Matcha tiramisu
- Kumquat upside-down cake
Vegan & Gluten-free Individual Coconut Cream Pies
Coconut whipped cream
- 1 can / 400g coconut whipping cream, chilled overnight
- toasted coconut (as much as you like)
- Place a strip of parchment paper into each well of a muffin pan, and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine toasted unsweetened coconut, graham cracker crumbs, sugar, salt and stir. Add melted coconut oil and mix it until the mixture resembles wet sand. Press it into the prepared muffin tin and put it in the freezer to set.
- In a separate bowl, add coconut custard, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract and stir until smooth and combined. Fill each of the crust with the custard and put it into the fridge.
- In a bowl, add chilled coconut whipping cream and whip it using an electric hand mixer for 3-5 minutes until fluffy. Layer over coconut custard and garnish with toasted coconut.
Disclosure – Thank you to Nature’s Charm and for sponsoring this post! I love both their products and brand values, and I’m so excited to be working with them!