Vegan french toast is easy to make and shockingly delicious! Made with coconut milk and chickpea flour, it's perfect for breakfast or brunch! It's fluffy, comforting, and satisfying whether you live a plant-based life or not!
What is vegan french toast?
Traditional french toast is made with bread, eggs, and milk, which are obviously not vegan-friendly. Vegan french toast can be made in different ways using flax meal, chia seeds, cornstarch, and nondairy milk.
My take on vegan french toast uses chickpea flour, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, and baking powder!
Where can I buy chickpea flour?
Chickpea flour can usually be found either by the dry beans or the Asian products. It can also be called besan flour. I found my bag next to the dried chickpeas! If you can't find it at your local grocery store, you can always find it on Amazon!
Is vegan french toast healthy?
I wouldn't say vegan french toast is necessarily healthy, especially if you're dousing it with a "healthy" amount of maple syrup. Maybe healthy for the soul.
That said, chickpea flour is lower in calories and higher in protein compared to regular flour! It's also high in folate and minerals like iron and magnesium. Coconut milk (my favorite is by Chef's Choice!), while high in fat, doesn't contain any cholesterol!
How to make vegan french toast
In a bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, salt, baking powder, nutritional yeast, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir while pouring in the water, coconut milk, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Once the batter is smooth, set it aside.
Add oil to a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Soak a slice of bread in the batter for 10 - 20 seconds and put it in the pan. Let it cook for 2 -3 minutes or until golden, and flip to cook the other side. Take it out onto a plate or wire rack while you cook the other slices.
Tips to making delicious plant-based french toast
Use stale bread. Stale bread will soak the batter better than fresh bread. That said, it'll be delicious even if you used fresh bread.
Use a nonstick skillet! The batter has a tendency to stick. So make sure you're using nonstick!
Get creative with the toppings! I'm a sucker for the classic butter and maple syrup combination, but it's just as delicious with some defrosted mixed berries (I always have a big bag from Costco) and some powdered sugar!
Other vegan breakfast and brunch recipes!
- Cinnamon rolls with cashew cream cheese icing
- Pumpkin morning glory muffins
- Creamy grits with jackfruit
Vegan French Toast
- 6-8 slices bread
- ⅓ cup / 35g chickpea flour
- pinch fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon / 5g nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅓ cup / 80g water
- ½ can / 200g Chef's Choice coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon / 20g maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon / 5g vanilla extract
- olive oil, for frying (or any other oil with a neutral flavor)
- In a bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, salt, baking powder, nutritional yeast, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir while pouring in the water, coconut milk, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Once the batter is smooth, set it aside.
- Add oil to a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Soak a slice of bread in the batter for 10-20 seconds and put it in the pan. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden, and flip to cook the other side. Take it out onto a plate or wire rack while you cook the other slices.
SAVE TO PINTEREST FOR LATER! (Don’t forget to follow me too!)
Disclosure – Thank you to Chef’s Choice Foods for sponsoring this post! I love both their products and brand values, and I’m so excited to be working with them!
Links included in this post might be affiliate links. If you purchase a product using these links I may receive a small commission. There is no additional charge to you 🙂