Matcha financiers are dainty French almond cakes with a Japanese green tea twist! These matcha almond cake bites are full of browned butter, almond flour, and sweet earthy matcha powder. They're perfect served with a cup of tea or coffee!
Ever since I was a little kid I loved traditional financiers, and so I had to pair it with matcha green tea, which I'm totally obsessed with! The sweet matcha pairs amazingly with the rich nutty flavor of browned butter.
The batter comes together in 15 minutes while you preheat the oven! First, brown the unsalted butter, and then combine the dry ingredients while the butter cools. Stir all the ingredients together and bake!
If you're a fellow matcha obsessed baker, you have to make these!
What are financiers?
Financiers are moist, buttery French almond cakes. They're traditionally made in small rectangular molds to resemble bars of gold, hence the name financier - someone who manages large amounts of money.
They may be French sweets, but they’re not snobby, fancy-pants desserts that only ladies at tea parties would eat. They’re so quick and easy to make, but such tasty bite-sized snacks! Financiers are the perfect cakes to accompany your cup of tea or coffee!
Financiers vs. Friands
Friands are very similar to financiers. They're little almond cakes that are popular mainly in Australia and New Zealand. The main difference between financiers and friands, is that friands don't use browned butter.
Ingredients for matcha financiers
You don't need many ingredients to make financiers, and matcha financiers are no different! Simple ingredients, simple steps, only 10 minutes in the oven, with all the flavor! I mean, really, does it get any better?
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Almond flour
- Cake flour
- Matcha powder
- Egg whites
And if you're not a fan of matcha or matcha desserts, try my lemon blueberry financiers!
More matcha sweets!
- Matcha Oreo blondies
- Matcha cupcakes
- Matcha tiramisu (vegan)
- Matcha ice cream (vegan)
- Matcha cutout cookies
- Mini muffin pan
- ⅔ cup / 150g unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup / 133g granulated sugar
- 1 cup / 100g almond flour
- 5 tablespoons / 50g cake flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons matcha powder
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 4 egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C. Butter a mini muffin pan and set aside.
- Put the butter in a small pan over medium heat. Swirl the pan regularly. When the milk solids turn brown at the bottom of the pan, take the pan off the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, almond flour, cake flour, and matcha powder. Whisk in the honey and egg whites. When combined, whisk in the cooled browned butter and mix until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among 12 wells. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for a few minutes before taking them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.