Somewhere between fudgy chocolate brownies and banana bread, this double chocolate banana bread is super moist, rich, and a killer recipe!
Super Moist Double Chocolate Banana Bread
It's super moist and chocolatey, but there's no doubt it's a banana bread. The overripe bananas not only adds flavor and sweetness but it adds moisture too!
Is chocolate banana bread healthy?
No. Definitely not. It doesn't have as much butter or sugar as brownies, but there's still a good amount in there. Not to mention the cup of semisweet chocolate chips too. But boy is it delicious.
Yogurt vs. Sour cream vs. Buttermilk
This double chocolate banana bread recipe has a combination of yogurt and milk. I like this combination as a buttermilk substitution since buttermilk isn't readily available in Japan.
If you'd rather use buttermilk, you can use ¼ cup of buttermilk instead of the 2 tablespoons of yogurt and 2 tablespoons of milk. You can also use sour cream instead of yogurt!
Whether you use yogurt or sour cream or buttermilk, you'll end up with the best loaf of moist chocolate banana bread!
How to make double chocolate banana bread
Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C (320°F/160°C for dark metal loaf pans) and line your loaf pan with parchment paper. This banana bread can be baked in either a 9×5 inch / 23×13 cm or 8×4 inch / 20×10 cm loaf pan! I like to use the smaller one because I think it makes a prettier loaf!
In a bowl, sift together cake flour, dutch processed cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda. I know, I said sift. I don't like sifting but when you're using cocoa powder, you really have to sift it because it tends to clump.
In another bowl, cream together the softened unsalted butter and granulated sugar. Once it's pale and fluffy, beat in the egg. Stir in the mashed banana, yogurt, milk, and vanilla.
Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, leaving a little bit in the bowl. About ¼ cup of the dry ingredients would do. Toss the chocolate chips in the flour mixture so each chocolate chip is covered. This helps to evenly distribute the chocolate chips in the banana bread and prevent them from sinking to the bottom!
Pour the double chocolate banana bread batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let it cool completely before slicing!
More loaf cakes and quick breads!
- Mom's banana bread
- Chocolate chip banana bread (GF/DF)
- Pumpkin bread (GF/DF)
- Lemon poppy seed cake (GF/DF)
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 8-inch loaf pan 9-inch loaf pan works as well
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup dutch processed cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup mashed overripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C (320°F/160°C for dark metal loaf pans) and line your loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the softened unsalted butter and granulated sugar. Once it's pale and fluffy, beat in the egg. Stir in the mashed banana, yogurt, milk, and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, leaving a little in the bowl (about ¼ cup of the dry ingredients). Toss the chocolate chips in the bowl so each chocolate chip is covered with flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let it cool completely before slicing.
SAVE TO PINTEREST FOR LATER
Links included in this post might be affiliate links. If you purchase a product using these links I may receive a small commission. There is no additional charge to you 🙂